The trip to Nazca started off with a bang, literally. On the bus ride from Ica to Nazca the bus blew a tire. So after a 30 minute pit stop on the side of the highway a few locals had changed the tire and we were back on our way to Nazca. After getting off the bus I went straight to the airport to board an itty bitty 4 seater plane to fly over the Nazca lines. I had been warned that the ride was really ruff so I shouldn't eat anything before I went and to only look at the lines when the pilot tells you too then look back at the horizon so I didn't get motion sickness. I was trying to remember all of this as we were in the air bouncing up and down and taking extremely tight turns so that we could see the lines from both windows. After the first couple of turns my stomach was not longer living in my throat and I was feeling much better. I loved seeing the lines and pondering how they were made so perfect when you can barley tell what they are from ground level. You have to be above the lines to see what they are meant to be. When I was flying I did not think that any of my pictures would turn out because the ride was so bouncy, but luckily a few of the hundreds I took did.
The next day I went on a tour of the Cementerio de Chauchilla and to see a potter and gold miner workshop. The cemetery was interesting, for being a cemetery. It was were the ancient Nazca civilization buried their elders. They mummified them and archeologist are in the works of digging them up to study and restore them. I am not a fan of cemeteries so the flight over the Nazca lines took the cake for this stop on the trip.
I do have to thank God, count my lucky stars, or do what ever it is you believe in that I took my flight on Wednesday. Thursday one of the tourist planes crashed on a sightseeing tour full of tourists. No one made it out of the plane alive. I took a bus back to Lima that night and you could see the plane crash from the road, surrounded by reports and investigators.

No comments:
Post a Comment